Sunday, February 26, 2012

On a Friday.

Every thought is a seed. If you plant crab apples, don't count on harvesting Golden Delicious. ~Bill Meyer

Eight minutes left of class and I decided that this was my last attempt to actually teach something substantial to my students today.

Last week I had to hold one of my classes in the boardroom because the big wigs were using my normal room for a meeting because they wanted an actual “classroom feel." So the ONE 9th grade class that I normally have a very specific seating chart for is now in a room with big, comfy rolly chairs that are all jammed together ……on a FRIDAY.

Wonderful.

The first half of class was a battle to get them to listen to how the next test is going to be set up and how to start brainstorming for their thesis statements. The second half of class was a battle to get them to start reviewing in small groups. But with 8 minutes remaining I realized this was my chance to get them to really leave for the weekend with something to think about. So I decided, at the last minute, to talk about The Open. After I explained the burpee WOD, it was funny to hear them say “wait….that is IT?”

hahaha oh children….if you only knew….

So I explained to them that, of course, part of this workout tests your conditioning and muscle endurance. However, a big part of it was really mental. It was just you and those burpees. There was no one to chase. There was no change in movement. There was no relief. And I closed my eyes for half of it, so all I could do was hear the voices of those coaching me along…… listening to Kris give me cues or Sue scream at me the last 30 seconds. I had to keep telling myself I was fine and to stay relaxed, keep moving, and not to let negative thoughts creep in. I mean…hey…they don’t call KAREN a OMMF (one movement mind #$%@) for nothing.

So I explained to my students (after demonstrating what a burpee was…in the board room..haha) that just because things seem difficultsometimes, their attitude is what makes or breaks them. All I hear around school is students talking about how they are going to fail the test, how they are stupid, or how other people are stupid… etc etc…negativity is just pouring out of those walls. I challenged them to be better than that and suggested they try to take the negative thought that enters their mind and switch it over to a positive one (Kudos to the Amundson seminar). I told them it wouldn’t be easy, but it will make them better and stronger and that I work on this myself every day.

You could hear a pin drop. I think they got the point. Or maybe they just thought I was nuts. Either way……cheers to another week of teaching, competing, and pushing myself to be better. Hooyah.

No comments:

Post a Comment